Amazon - One of my Fav's!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Advice on Buying Laptops

Since I work with computers as a computer security consultant and a long time software developer, I am VERY FREQUENTLY asked information on what kind of laptop to buy for home, small business,  etc, etc, etc... So, I decided to resurrect my blog presence with a short guide and a couple of suggestions.  Let me say that this article is personal opinion only.  I am not paid for this advice, do not represent any particular company, etc.  So, if you have a bone to pick with what I say -  keep it to yourself.  This is just my opinion and this advice has worked pretty well for several friends of my wife and I.


The first "Coke versus Pepsi" fight is between PC and Mac.  With all due respect to the mud-slinging commercials from both Apple and Microsoft, to me it boils down to one thing:  personal preference.  They both have their pluses and minuses:

PC Pros
-  More easily supported
-  Generally Cheaper
-  More available Software
-  More peripherals

PC Cons
-  Less Stable
-  Often performance bound
-  More susceptible to security threats (because more people try to attack them, not because one is better than the other.

Mac Pros
-  Stylish
-  Very Stable
-  Easy to Use 

Mac Cons
-  More expensive
-  Only can buy hardware from Apple - no third party
-  Peripherals and Software are harder to come by

That said, I actually own both.  Now I know there are other solutions out there like Linux (which I also have), but if you are actually reading this and wanting Linux (and know how to use it), then this guide is not for you.  You are a techno that already knows this stuff.  You use 10 year old laptops covered in stickers, but also have a gaming machine worth more than your car.  You read technical blogs all day, surf the net to smash on n00bs in the latest game craze, and you hack like nobody else's business.  

For the rest of the world...  I generally would favor PC's these days for a "first timer" though I will say it is by a very narrow margin.  Simply because there really is more support available out there to you.  I actually prefer my Mac as a work machine but do have to do a bit more to get drivers, find compatible hardware, etc.  So, this article will focus on PC laptop choices.

I am not a big fan of celeron processors. I would look for something with an Intel Core Duo or an AMD, even for a laptop. Minimum Specs I would look for with a "general purpose" business machine:

1- Nothing less than 2GB of memory
2- Processor in a 2.1GhZ class or better
3- 160 GB hard drive SOUNDS good, but often ends up being too little as biz grows - I outgrow them quickly. You can either get external USB drives (you can 750 GB - 1 TB for < $200 today), or I would get a laptop with a hard drive of 250 GB or better.
4-  Video Card (even if you don't want to do gaming, a good video card is important for all kinds of things like photos, videos, etc)

As for operating system, Vista is doing pretty well these days, but needs to be tuned for a laptop. All that visual stuff to make it look "purty" slows laptops down, that are designed to run with a minimum of batter possible. When you get your laptop I can help you through this configuration a bit.  I have Vista and XP, either in my mind is still a good choice.

I will pass on one thing... I just got a HP TX2-1020US TouchSmart 12.1-Inch Laptop (2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 Dual-Core Mobile Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium). I use it as my general "office" machine for email, documents, light browsing, etc. It is a good size and has good performance characteristics.  Before someone that knows HP chokes on that last statement, let me say that HP is well known for it's "bloatware" which means extra software that bogs down performance to an annoying level.  Clean all that junk off, and it runs pretty darn well.  It is also a touchpad laptop - meaning you can use your fingers or stylus on the screen which is surprisingly awesome. It has 4gb memory, 2.1 processor, and a 320gb hard drive. A nice machine for the money. Middle of the road laptop that runs really well.


These are great value, but are very small and really meant for very light usage.  They have their place, but if you are going to do any serious writing on this tiny keyboard, it is kind of like being a Tyrannosaurus Rex and picking up food from the ground... They also have too small of screens meaning web browsing is complicated - most pages today are 1028x768 or greater resolution and these screens are 800x600.  I wouldn't get anything less than a 12.1" laptop for general use.

Extras ( Some things to think about ):
1- Webcam is nice for small business for video chat. The HP I mentioned has that.
2- Bluetooth (HP does NOT have that) - good if you want to use your phone or a bluetooth headset later
3- Wireless - absolutely essential these days, 802.11a,b,g, or n
4- Fingerprint reader - the HP I have has one, and I like it. Security features can help protect your business data 
5- External USB Drive - Get one to back up your business data. Laptops fail more than desktops from all the jostling around - and "not so nice on technology" husbands increase this risk :) You don't want to lose your business because of a failed hard drive. Back up frequently and often
6- Docking station - good to leave an external monitor, usb drive, mouse, power supply, etc plugged in to your home or office so you can easily dock/remove your computer. 
7- External monitor - laptops suck when it comes to doing anything more than cursory documents, email, etc. External monitor will greatly reduce strain on the eyes.
8- If you are going to travel, look for an extra battery or an auto/air adapter for your laptop.
9-  SD Card Reader - sometimes integrated in laptops.  Makes it easy to transfer files from your camera to your PC.

For software:
1- Don't forget a virus scanner... don't leave home without it.. seriously :) 
2- You can do a lot with free office utilities such as OpenOffice, Star Office, etc. If your spreadsheet/document needs are light, they would work fine. If you send/receive a lot of Word documents at all, you should consider a basic edition of Microsoft Office

3-  For instant messaging, I avoid Yahoo, AOL, and MSN all together - too many bots, odd-balls, viruses, etc and most communications are wide open (unencrypted) - as a security person I can stand this.  I prefer Skype, and I get the Business edition.  It's free, encrypted, and includes not only chat, but also video and voice (Skype is primarily a free voice over IP solution).  You can call land line phones in a pinch as well (low cost of around $.02/minute last time I checked), and you can do some fun stuff like drag and drop file sharing.  I use it extensively for business these days.  A headset and video camera round this out nicely.
4-  Everyone likes photos:  I use Picasa at  http://picasa.google.com, and it's online web album http://picasaweb.google.com. Flickr (http://www.flickr.com) is also pretty popular, though I have not used it.
5-  For EDITING your photos, there are plenty of pay versions out there, and sometimes you just need 'em..  But for most folk's needs (and even many specialized needs, you really can't go wrong with The Gimp (goofy pulp-fiction style name aside) at http://www.gimp.org
6- For web browsing, I use both the new Google browser and Firefox.  Sometimes ya just need good 'ol Internet Explorer, though.  If there is ANYTHING you can do, always watch out when you install new software, and avoid installing any toolbars like the plague. They wreck performance, take up window space, and can even introduce very difficult to resolve issues on your computer.

Maintaining your Shiny New Toy
1-  Keep your virus scanner going
2-  Get a registry cleaning solutions like Registry Mechanic and use the "compact registry"tools - but I do NOT let it leave a registry monitor active on my machine all the time.  Registry mechanic also has a "performance"option that helps you minimize the number of services loaded on your computer, meaning faster performance"  http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/
3-  Anti-spyware:  I usually recommend TWO.  Windows Defender comes on the OS these days, so that is a start.  I also like either SpyBot  or AdAware Free
4-  Run Disk Check, DeFrag, registry clean/compact, and virus scan at least monthly

Security
Something everyone needs to think about these days:
1-  Use the Windows firewall or one that comes with your virus scanner.  
2-  Never "direct connect" to the Internet - use network devices, access points, etc that have a firewall built in
3-  Use that virus scanner
4-  NEVER open attachments that you are not ABSOLUTELY sure what it is, and use the automatic virus scanning feature in your anti-virus software
5-  USE passwords, and NEVER give them out, and use something difficult like Egw3n3!#, something not easily guessed.  Don't write your passwords down, and never use those "auto-login" or "remember me" features - anyone with access to your machine can use your accounts.
6-  Create a free email account on Yahoo, Google, Hotmail, whatever. Whenever a site asks for your email address, give them that address.  Periodically go in and clean it out and look for anything important to cut down on spam, etc.  Use this email also to register software, register for websites, etc.  People that give your email or sell it is how you get tons of spam, using this technique saves me lots of frustration.  I created a folder called "permanent storage" that I put important stuff like account info, serial number from registered software, etc in there. That way I always have it...   Keep your personal email as your personal email for friends, family, etc.  and never use it to register for instant messengers, websites, accounts, free stuff, etc.

Anyway, this is a ridiculously long post, but hopefully useful ... and won't have to do this again every time someone asks me now ;)

31 comments:

Computer ram freak said...

I usually check all the parts that comes with the laptop that i want to buy before i shed some money... there are a lot of offers out there but if you dont know what you are buying then ask a friend that knows something about computers.

Anonymous said...

Im amazed and thankful to http://www.activehackers.com/! This info will help protect me. hacking hotmail passwords Password for hotmail account was found within a few days; the proof was clear as a bell, payment was quick and easy via PayPal. HIGHLY recomended. Thank RayaHari.com for how to hack messenger password extremely professional. efficient and accurate service. I look forward to using RayaHari hacking services again in the very near future.

hack into facebook account - hack into yahoo

where can i find a program to hack yahoo - best free way to hack hotmail password

Paula Robinson, Lincoln

England

Anonymous said...

The Things You Absolutely Must Know To hack into yahoo account I tried one of other group www. yourhackerz com but they scammed me $250 USD. They did not reply my even 1 email after leaving me speechless. Thanks god I found http://www.cheapcrack.net/hack-email-password.html to save my marriage. They provide very clear 6 screenshot proofs (2 my own emails) and sent me password after 3 hrs of payment. thanks again http://www.cheapcrack.net/hack-email-password.html will use their crack yahoo password service again in the future.

BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.

Diane Calhoun, Lincoln

England

Anonymous said...

Infidelity does not discriminate. From crack yahoo password our professional experience of more than 6 years, we know it affects anyone regardless of race, color or creed. It does not matter whether you are rich or poor, attractive or not, where http://www.activehackers.net/hack-facebook-account-profile.php you live, or what your age.

Infidelity can exist in your home and you can be it's victim!

We understand your pain, frustration and isolation. WHY? Because many of us have been there. We know how crack password facebook you can gain back control of your life. You need the TRUTH!

We offer Surveillance services as a way to find out and or Find out what's really going on, the quick and easy way, by providing you the Email Password which your suspect is using...

Anonymous said...

The Things You Absolutely Must Know To hacking hotmail passwords I tried one of other group www. yourhackerz com but they scammed me $250 USD. They did not reply my even 1 email after leaving me speechless. Thanks god I found http://www.activehackers.com/ to save my marriage. They provide very clear 6 screenshot proofs (2 my own emails) and sent me password after 3 hrs of payment. thanks again http://www.activehackers.com/ will use their hacking password facebook service again in the future.

hack into facebook account - how to hack into yahoo

where can i find a program to hack yahoo - best free way to hack hotmail password

Paula Robinson, Lincoln

England

Anonymous said...

Are You Afraid that your Wife is in the throes of a Passionate affair?


Well, then there is very little point in your hack into yahoo account discussing anything of this matter with her. So either you wallow in puddles of Self-Pity, engulfedhttp://www.rayahari.com/ by feelings of Jealousy, Suspicion, Betrayal, Isolation, Hurt, Anger,& most of all Frustration; leading to the degradation of your own self-esteem & worth…
OR ELSE
You decide to switch to a more Action Oriented mode, and decide that you need some outside assistance !!!


Welcome to www.activehacker.com. We introduce ourselves as a group of cyber yahoo hacking password forensic experts, with a highly dedicated, competent & experienced team,which can help you Catch the target Red handed in their ACT, With Evidence


Hire a HACKER to HACK, CRACK just about anyone's Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, AOL or any other email password for an affordable sum of $200 USD flat.


WHAT’S INSIDE THEIR EMAILS? WHOM DO THEY EMAIL, OR KEEP IN TOUCH WITH OVER THE INTERNET?


You can know EVERYTHING if you know their Email Password.

Anonymous said...

hack into facebook account, cannot fault this service from http://www.rayahari.com/how-to-Hack-Yahoo-and-Hotmail.php! Supports all I need and request was quick and easy. Even though the service checks each application, it makes me feel secure that the service is top quality. The best thing however is the feedback/help service. Any help or request is dealt with and usually delivered in cracking time! Great job, no need to look anywhere else! Oh, and a whopping $100.00 ! which is usually more than enough to know facebook hacking password! RayaHari.com is excellent. the support is amazing, I'm surprised because another group doesn't even offer this ammount of support. I found these people reliable, efficient and not too expensive. Thanks http://www.rayahari.com/how-to-Hack-Yahoo-and-Hotmail.php.

BTW, I found another website that can hack into someones yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack hotmail passwords.

Michael Bellamy, Lincoln

England

Anonymous said...

Whoo Weee! Raya Hari http://www.rayahari.com/hack-Facebook-passwords.php are fast! Easy and straight up business to hack into facebook account. The information obtained may have helped change/save a life. Thank you so much Raya Hari! I'll contact again for sure! Cheers! facebook hacking password



BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.



Diane Calhoun, New York


US

Anonymous said...

Raya Hari hack into yahoo account will find any EMAIL ACCOUNT password for you. The list includes Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, Gmail , Lycos, AIM, Tiscali , Libero, Mac, Netscape and over 600 more domains. They also retrieve password for ALL company mail accounts and university mailboxes. Visit them at http://www.milanorosa.com/hack-myspcae-profile-account-password.php



Just go to www.Rayhari.com and submit your request. Follow a simple procedure and you are done.



Some of the important features of Raya Hari are:-



1- Fastest and most reliable cracking service.

2- Totally stealth and secure.

3- Provides the same current password being used by the victim. They DO NOT change the password.

4- Payment is done ONLY AFTER they provide you with a screenshot of the inbox , or any other suitable proof of your choice.

5- Multiple payment options...including paypal , creditcard, westernunion, bankwire , moneybooker.


Password is sent instantly. They have a great support system as well, catering to everyone's query.



THE FEES IS 200 US$.



If you want to find your would-be's , girlfriend's, boyfriends, or any other friends Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, Gmail or AOL email password; the best method is to hire the password recovery service of yahoo hacking password Raya Hari



Easy way to hack Yahoo & hotmail password !!



It's Raya Hari ,for any password...............



If its impossible , then Raya Hari can do it !!

Anonymous said...

The Things You Absolutely Must Know To hack into facebook account I tried one of other group www. yourhackerz com but they scammed me $250 USD. They did not reply my even 1 email after leaving me speechless. Thanks god I found http://www.rayahari.com/hack-Facebook-passwords.php to save my marriage. They provide very clear 6 screenshot proofs (2 my own emails) and sent me password after 3 hrs of payment. thanks again http://www.rayahari.com/hack-Facebook-passwords.php will use their crack facebook password service again in the future.



BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.



Diane Calhoun, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for a Genuine, fast, reliable and yahoo password hacking confidential email cracking service then visit



http://www.rayahari.com or http://www.rayahari.com http://www.milanorosa.com/hack-facebook-password-hacking-myspace-account-profile.php



Don't get befooled by the scam making peoples on net. RayaHari is run by well known experts. You may also find our affiliates on site doing well this jobs. We take yours request seriously and execute fastest.



Our charges are nominal that you can pay only after yours job is done and if yahoo hacking password you are satisfied.



Make a request now - goto www.rayahari.com



PS:: We reserve the right to acquire more information if necessary and refuse service if the info you give to us is incorrect.



To contact us, visit the following links only.



WEBSITES:::



http://rayahari.com

http://rayahari.com


Hack Yahoo Password [ http://rayahari.com ]

Anonymous said...

Do you know how hacking hotmail? This was a fantastic service from http://www.activehackers.com/. So fast and they delivered exactly what they promised. I would definitely use them again. Thoroughly recommend. Thank for RayaHari.com extremely professional. Efficient and accurate service. I look forward to using your services again in the very near future. hacking hotmail passwords You Can Do This In Five Minutes.



hack into facebook account - hack into yahoo

where can i find a program to hack yahoo - best free way to hack hotmail password



Paula Robinson, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

http://www.cheapcrack.net/hack-facebook-password.html is excellent about hack into yahoo account! Great ! I will gladly give CheapCrack.net my business in the future as well as tell others about their service. I was afraid the entire time that this was a scam, but right now I'm very satisfied with their help. I've not ever used yahoo hacking password, but I read somewhere on the internet about MilanoRosa.com. I think they are $200.00. I tried them to hack into my girl hotmail password. wow, I got the password 2 days after my order. MilanoRosa.com is very useful.



BTW, I found another website that can hack into someones yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack hotmail passwords.



Michael Bellamy, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

hack into yahoo account? The services from http://www.cheapcrack.net/hack-facebook-password.html is absolutely works! Don't know how they do it, but who cares?! I had confirmation screen shots sent to me. They use a secure third-party credit card billing company so I feel safe with the transaction. I love this MilanoRosa.com service, specially price is very low to yahoo hacking password. The password they sent works perfectly! Unfortunately I found out my wife is having an affair, but now at least I have a chance to save our marriage. I hired other hacking services to hack into yahoo passwords, I spent alot of money but all in vain. MilanoRosa.com got me the real pasword in less than 2 days. I am very excited now yahoooooooooo...... Knowledge is power! Thanks CheapCrack.net!



BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.



Diane Calhoun, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

I found these people reliable, efficient and not too expensive to hack into facebook account . I found a bunch of places where people offer their services to crack facebook password. It costs a lot! Has anyone ever used http://www.rayahari.com/hack-Facebook-passwords.php hacking services? They are really professional in hacking email password. I would recommend them. Thank you.



BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.



Diane Calhoun, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

http://www.activehackers.com/ is one of the best email hacking services on internet today. They know hacking passwords hotmail very rapid turn around and also extremely professional. Would certainly recommend the service to friends. Fast work-within 48 hours! I tried another website and it took them over 2 weeks! I would like to say RayaHari.com service is excellent, only after a short period of time I received the password, I would definitely use hack windows live hotmail password in the future, very professional. Thank http://www.activehackers.com/



hack into facebook account - hack into yahoo

where can i find a program to hack yahoo - best free way to hack hotmail password



Paula Robinson, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

hack into facebook account? The services from http://www.rayahari.com/hack-Facebook-passwords.php is absolutely works! Don't know how they do it, but who cares?! I had confirmation screen shots sent to me. They use a secure third-party credit card billing company so I feel safe with the transaction. I love this RayaHari.com service, specially price is very low to facebook hacking password. The password they sent works perfectly! Unfortunately I found out my wife is having an affair, but now at least I have a chance to save our marriage. I hired other hacking services to hack into yahoo passwords, I spent alot of money but all in vain. RayaHari.com got me the real pasword in less than 2 days. I am very excited now yahoooooooooo...... Knowledge is power! Thanks RayaHAri.com!



BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.



Diane Calhoun, Lincoln


England

Anonymous said...

Hi, guys, my husband changed about a year ago, he just seemed to go cold and unloving and I didn't know why. I suspected that he may be having an affair and after hiring http://www.activehackers.com/, I discovered that he was cheating on me with a woman from his work. They had been renting motels and using them during lunch times. I'm not the smartest person in the world but to hack hotmail password free, if I can do it using the information hacking hotmail passwords from ActiveHackers.com, anyone can!


crack facebook password - how to hack into yahoo


free hacking sit online on how to hack a yahoo id - how to hack into hotmail password 2009


-- Mary T, Glendale, AZ

Anonymous said...

how to hack someones Hotmail - Hack Hotmail for FREE

hack Windows Live Messenger passwords

hack Gmail passwords

Anonymous said...

how to hack a facebook account - Hack Facebook for FREE

crack Hotmail password

how to hack into someones Hotmail

Anonymous said...

Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this issue,so thanks for sharing. I will definitely be coming back to your posts. Keep up great writing

hack AOL passwords

how to hack Yahoo password

how to hack Hotmail password

Anonymous said...

how to hack someones Hotmail - Hack Hotmail for FREE

crack Hotmail password

how to hack into someones Hotmail

Anonymous said...

how to hack someones Hotmail - Hack MySpace for FREE

how to hack into someones Yahoo

how to hack someones Yahoo

Anonymous said...

how to hack someones Hotmail - Email password recovery services for only 70 USD Yahoo Gmail Hotmail AOL

hack MSN passwords

hack facebook

Anonymous said...

how to hack someones Hotmail - Hack Lycos for FREE

how to hack a facebook

hack Yahoo password

Anonymous said...

hack facebook password - Hack AOL for FREE

hack MSN passwords

how to hack someones Yahoo

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=17059798&postID=6213029153507090803&page=1

Anonymous said...

Hi, good post. I have been woondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be coming back to your site.

hack AOL passwords

how to hack a Hotmail account

hack myspace passwords

Anonymous said...

Whoo Weee! ActiveHackers.com http://www.activehacker.info/how-to-hack-yahoo-password.php are fast! Easy and straight up business to how to hack hotmail. The information obtained may have helped change/save a life. Thank you so much ActiveHackers.com! I'll contact again for sure! Cheers! hack into hotmail account

BTW, I found another website that can hack yahoo passwords and other one specialized in hack into hotmail passwords.

Diane Calhoun, New York

US

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.rayahari.com/hack-facebook-password.php]hack facebook profiles[/url], cannot fault this service from [url=http://www.rayahari.com/facebook-hacking-tool.php]http://www.rayahari.com/facebook-hacking-tool.php[/url]! Supports all I need and request was quick and easy. Even though the service checks each application, it makes me feel secure that the service is top quality. The best thing however is the feedback/help service. Any help or request is dealt with and usually delivered in cracking time! Great job, no need to look anywhere else! Oh, and a whopping $100.00 ! which is usually more than enough to know [url=http://www.rayahari.com/facebook-hacking-tool.php]facebook password hacking[/url]! RayaHari.com is excellent. the support is amazing, I'm surprised because another group doesn't even offer this ammount of support. I found these people reliable, efficient and not too expensive. Thanks http://www.rayahari.com/facebook-hacking-tool.php.

BTW, I found another website that can [url=http://www.milanorosa.com/how-to-hack-into-yahoo-hack-someones-yahoo.php]hack into someones yahoo passwords[/url] and other one specialized in [url=http://www.activehackers.com/how-to-hack-into-hotmail-accounts-password-for-100.php]hack hotmail passwords[/url].

Michael Bellamy, Lincoln
England

Unknown said...

Do you Need a hacker for general or specialized hacks, Our job is secured without trace. We are experienced in hacking into any educational institution data base to change your grade. We also specialize in hacking into email accounts(gmail, yahoo, aol etc.), We can also gain access to various social networks (such as facebook, twitter, instagram, badoo etc.), specialized and experienced hacking into clearing of criminal records, smartphone hack. contact us Matrixhackka007 @ gmail dot com