Amazon - One of my Fav's!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

OK - Gadget Freaks Unite - Nokia N810

This is just too cool. I recently picked up a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet. I did not get the Wi-Max edition as it was not available at the time, and Wi-Max hasn't hit all that huge around me just yet. That said, this is a very cool device. I'll post a larger review later on, but suffice it to say I just paired this with a wireless Apple keyboard, and am now typing on the blog through the N810 with it. This will be a great for me as I work professionally, it will keep me from dragging the laptop out on each and every excursion. Really enjoying this so far...

Update - The Nokia N810 has Maemo linux on it. I haven't started hacking at it yet, but I know there are versions out there that include popular security tools such as Wireshark, Metasploit, etc. I might get there one of these days, but I have regular computers for that. I like this because I can carry it along with the new keyboard, and it's super-light, small, and does just about evertything I need when I'm on the road - email, web, etc. I can connect it to Wi-Fi 802.11b/g networks, and if those aren't available, I pair through my phone. Perhaps a bit slow when going through the phone, but still plenty good for email and light web browsing.

It also has a GPS built in. Now for navigation, you are supposed to buy the Wayfinder options, which is ~$130 for 3 years, not too bad of a deal I suppose. I will likely stick with my Garmin for heavy navigating, but it sure would have been nice to have this during my Pitt-of-hellsburgh trip recently!

I highly recommend one of these for students, professionals, tinkerers, or kindred gadget hounds like me :)



And here is the keyboard I got for it:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You win the gadget wars. Your phone can definitely beat up my phone.

Or is that thing even a phone??

~sniff~