Amazon - One of my Fav's!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Smoke and Politics

Ok, not what readers might be thinking... I fired up the 'ol smoker today.. Actually its a new smoker. I was using a vertical smoker run on propane, and I finally decided to graduate to a charcoal and wood style. I picked up a Chargriller with a side firebox recently, and I must say, I'm impressed! Its a lot more work, but well worth it at the end of the night when we ate. Overcooked the ribs a bit, but I'll remember not to place them on that spot of the smoker again. Otherwise, great fun!

Started about 8 this morning with a pork butt. I used some Kingston charcoal to get a good fire going, then added in natural wood lump charcoal and hickory chunks. I think I would like to use hickory logs next time, they'll last longer and won't require me checking on them every few minutes.

Added a chicken and ribs around noon. Everything came off the smoker at 4:30, and it was delicious!

I used that vinegar sauce from an earlier post for a marinade and mop, as well as a bit of it over all the meat once I pulled it (oh yes.. it fell apart when touched with the fork). Then, I came up with a variant on the Coke BBQ Sauce - I'll call it my "Ass-Kicken Coke BBQ Sauce." Check it out:

Ass-Kicken Coke BBQ Sauce

¼ cup of coca cola
10 oz of tomato paste
1/3 cup of ketchup
2 cups water
1 cup brown sugar – packed
1/3 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp of minced garlic
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp cajun spice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp liquid smoke or bacon drippings
2 tsp crushed red pepper, or more if you are brave
¼ tsp powdered ginger

Bring to boil, then simmer 1 hours, allow to cool. You can experiment with more lemon juice, pineaple juice, a bit more brown sugar (makes it thicker in its final state), or add some more red pepper. A bit of cayenne pepper might really turn things up for ya :)




So, why "Smoke and Politics?" I had plenty of time to think on some earlier posts, and more things today regarding the upcoming election. I don't know about you all, but I am already sick of it. Every day polls come out that tie the candidates, give one a huge edge, another gives someone else and edge, every question imaginable is asked to the point of annoyance, ack! Sick of it already.

That said, this is an important election. I am not that happy about any of the candidates at the moment, but I certainly know I will not vote for Obama. Definitely not a fan boy, I think we don't KNOW who he is yet. His voting record is very liberal, his rhetoric appeals to emotion quite well (a classic fallacy in logic), but we still haven't really heard him say anything. I hope the man actually develops a message rather than trying to inspire "hope." Hope in what? I have NO idea at this point.

As for McCain, I at LEAST think he would be a good commander in chief. His voting record is a little sketchy, but as a former soldier I appreciate the hell out of a commander in chief that understands what it means to fight and die for your country, and doesn't make that decision lightly. I also think McCain has proven himself to be a formidable statesman, and he seems to be well respected around the world. At this point, he has my vote. But, things can, and do, change...

While in many ways I am sure I have made my decision, I would at least like to think I have given a fair weight to both candidates once its time to write an X on the line for one or the others. Oh, stay the hell out of the race you vote stealing independents, third parties, and "altruistic" glory seekers. This election ought to be about a solid and CLEAR choice of a leader. Spoilers in the last several elections have made it REALLY tough for a candidate to truly call a mandate from the American people. Get stuffed, find another venue for your message. Yes, I'm talking to you, Nader, Bloomberg, possibly Hillary, Perot, and whomever else is thinking about it. Not time for you to make a stage here, wait until the next election and run an actual campaign! We don't need an independent candidate!

0 comments: