Amazon - One of my Fav's!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Supreme Court Strikes Down Gun Ban in DC

Well, what do you know? Apparently sane minds have prevailed and remembers that the job of a judge is to adjudicate the law, not make it. In what is sure to be a historic ruling, despite being a 5-4 split, the Supreme Court has ruled that the Washington DC gun ban is unconstitutional: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372041,00.html

While I AM a gun advocate, having been raised as a responsible gun owner from a VERY early age (I still VIVIDLY remember my father taking me outside to the garage with a toy pop-gun and threatening to saw it into little pieces if I ever pointed it at anyone or anything alive again, stuck with me 30+ years now), I do support better legislation for responsible firearms ownership. I do not believe that the government should restrict the rights to own firearms, except in the case of criminals or those with significant mental issues. I do think that requiring training and demonstration of skills is a good idea. Waiting periods, restricting ammunition types, firing rates, etc... all of these are pointless and useless. They will not deter crime. Training, however, at least helps reduce accidents, also helps people understand when and why firearms should be used, and to keep them from doing something stupid (shooting themselves, an innocent, or having the gun snatched from them and used against them if it doesn't work).

The point that gun opponents don't seem to get: Pacifism does not breed peace. Criminals do not buy guns, and criminals love people that don't have guns. Why is it that nearly every major evil regime in the 20th century until now has started with a concerted effort to DISARM the people? Governments serve at the pleasure of its people, and they know that. Take away their ability to denounce, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, every time.

Gun control does not work. Period. Sure, you can show me all kinds of statistics to justify your opinion 50 times by this evening. I am sure I can also find some expert somewhere in the world that has spent their life's work to produce research and statistics on why child molestation is perfect acceptable as well. I can not remember the source, but the quote goes, that statisticians use statistics like drunks use lightposts. Both use them for support, and neither for illumination.

All the numbers in the world do not dispute facts. Gun control has NEVER reduced crime, in fact it has in nearly every case allowed it to flourish. Guns will be in the hands of criminals any time, any place. Law enforcement can not be everywhere at once, and it there is a chance it may be up to you to defend yourself, or more importantly your family.

Thanks to the Supreme Court, there is at least some measure of validation of this point. I am all for firearms training, and wouldn't even mind required training before someone gets a firearm (like most states require hunter's safety courses before giving hunting licenses), and especially I want someone to have training before they are allowed to conceal carry.

While there are exceptions and many irresponsible gun owners, you should be happy people like me and my family are around... we help keep irresponsible gun owners and criminals in check. No, I am not a cop, nor do I wish to pretend to be one, or act like one, or anything else. But, I have a beautiful wife, two amazing girls, and a fantastic son. There are far too many people in this world that just simply do not care enough about human life. To deny that is to deny that you need air to survive. No matter how nice you are, some people in life just plain suck.

You will not see me, or anyone in my family, brandishing a firearm, using it to help influence an argument, prove a point, etc. I was put into an uncomfortable position one night when an unruly gentleman confronted my wife when we were out. Unfortunately it resulted in the first physical altercation I've had in over 10 years. I had a gun on me at that time, and there was absolutely no motivation to even try to pull it, the situation did not demand that use of force. That is called measured, cool, and reasonable response to a situation. People need to be trained, need to think through their responses, and be prepared to DEFEND only if necessary.

0 comments: